Top 5 Things I’m Looking Forward to This Summer
Posted by armpitofamerica on April 24, 2011
Flowers are in bloom, the weather’s getting warmer, and girls all over New Jersey are visiting tanning booths and throwing up their meals in order to look good in a bikini. These are all signs that summer is coming to the Jersey Shore. And I couldn’t be happier, especially after the winter we had this year. So what am I looking forward to most about this summer in the Armpit of America? Keep reading to find out.
1. Finally being popular – As this will be my first summer living at the beach, I may finally know what it’s like to be popular! From what I’ve heard, when you have a beach house, people come out of the woodwork to come over. So even though I’ll probably be taken advantage of by some of my random acquaintances who want a place to chill before going to the beach or crash after going to the bars, it will feel like I have so many more friends!
2. Corn – Throughout the fall, winter, and spring, we’re stuck eating corn out of a can or from the freezer. Not in summer though. Come July, New Jersey provides its residents with the best, sweetest corn imaginable. It’s so unbelievably good, you don’t even have to cook it. Hell, you don’t heve have to husk it! Take that, Nebraska!
3. Outdoor Bars – The bars at the Jersey Shore are fun all year round. But they can get a little cramped and stuffy during the off-season. Once summer comes, they open up their outdoor sections, allowing guests the option to escape the guidos and crappy coverbands inside, and hang around outside. That being said, here’s a quick list of my favorite outdoor bars:
- Bar A in Lake Como – The granddaddy of all shore bars, Bar A is a staple of summer in New Jersey. Love it or love to hate it, there’s something about this place that keeps you coming back. I’ve spent many a fun summer night there, and I plan on having quite a few more.
- Martell’s Tiki Bar in Point Pleasant – Let’s see…it’s a bar on a pier surrounded by carnival rides and junk food vendors – what’s not to love?
- The Headliner in Neptune – Though not my favorite bar, on most Sunday’s throughout the summer, The Headliner’s outdoor bar is the stage for the B-Street Band. You get to listen to Springsteen covers while the bar serves up hamburgers, hot dogs, and sausage. It’s also entertaining watching all of the cougars dancing around, desperately trying to hang onto their youth and prove that they still got it.
4. The smell of fried food on the boardwalk - Those who enjoy coming to the beach and inhaling that salty sea air better come soon. Once summer hits, that fresh ocean smell goes into hibernation and is taken over by the scents of all kinds of greasy fried stuff.
5. Rain – As the shore will be completely overrun with benny beachgoers each day, I’m sure it will get pretty crazy. So I’ll be looking forward to those rainy days that will keep those New York assholes far away from the shore.
There you have it. The five things I’m looking forward to this summer. What are YOU looking forward to in New Jersey this summer? Or not looking forward to?